Website Traffic

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Buying website traffic hits

When I first started out I was looking for ways to get more traffic to my website. I came across traffic generator where you could purchase hits for a set amount of traffic. It wasn't too expensive so I gave it a try. I purchased 10000 hits for $6.95 to be delived to my address book software program. The hits would be delivered over a 3o day period so I receive approximately 300 hits per day. After a week or so I decided to look at my website statistics and although I was receiving many visitors, there was no other activity from them. I emailed the administrator of the web traffic generator to find out how the visitors were being delived to my website. What I found out is that they were delivered by pop-unders. In the end, after 10000 visitors , only 4 of them downloaded my software program. So that was the last time I ever purchase hits from traffic generators.

So what is a pop-under. Well it's a web browser screen that opens up behind the screen you are viewing. The screen you are viewing has some code on it that triggers and event to open a new window with a specified URL. Most people would find pop-ups annoying but now a days most browsers such as Netscape and Firefox have pop-up blocker. If you have Internet Explorer you can download the google toolbar which has a pop-up blocker.

Knowing that the traffic generator use pop-unders, it is my opinion that the quality of the visitor is very poor as they are not realy interested in viewing the pop-under. I generally just close the window without looking at what the website is about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home